Managing passwords and using two-step verification
Your account identity is set by your email address and the password that you use to sign in to your account. Because your email address is publicly known, using a strong password helps protect your account from unauthorized use.
Here are some guidelines that can help make your password stronger:
- Use a password that is at least 8 characters long
- Use a combination of letters (both upper-case and lower-case) and numbers
- Do not use a word that is in a dictionary
- Do not use information, such as a birthday or pet's name, that can be tied to you
- Do not use a password that you are already using on another account
For more information, see Choose a strong password on the Amazon.com website.
Secure your account with two-step verification
We recommend that you add security to your account by setting up two-step verification, also known as multi-factor authentication (MFA). For instructions, see below.
For assistance in recovering access to an account that has been secured with two-step verification, see Two-step verification account recovery.
Instructions for setting up two-step verification:
You can find an Amazon Pay video showing you how to set up two-step verification on YouTube.
- Sign in to Seller Central.
- Click the Settings link, and then click Login Settings.
- Under Advanced Security Settings, click Edit, and then click the yellow Get Started button.
- Choose your preferred method for obtaining a verification code:
- Via Text message (SMS) — Enter your full mobile phone number, and then click Send code.
- Via the Authentication App — Download it in the App Store and create the code by scanning the QR code.
- Get the code from your smartphone or app that was generated in Step 4. Enter the code, and then click Verify code and continue.
- Select a backup method for obtaining a code, in case you don't have access to your smartphone or app (for example, if your phone is lost). Your backup method can be set to receive the code in one of three ways:
- Via Text message (SMS)
- Via Voice call
- Via the Authentication App
- Get the code from your backup method that was generated in Step 6. Enter the code, and then click Verify code and continue.
- An Almost done screen opens, with a few last pieces of information. It provides an alternate method for entering your verification code.
It also provides a Don't require codes on this device check box. If you don't want to enter verification codes on this device, check the check box, and then click the Got it. Turn on Two-Step Verification button.
Change your password
You first set your password when you register with Amazon Pay. After you register, you can change your password on the Account Settings page in Seller Central.
- Click Settings, and then click Login Settings.
- In the Password Settings area, click the Change button.
- In the Old Password box, enter your current password.
- In the New password box, enter your new password.
- In the Re-enter password box, enter your new password again.
- Click Submit.
Reset your password
If you forget your password, you can reset it on Amazon.com.
- Go to https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/account/forgot-password/email.html/.
- Enter the email address that is associated with your Amazon Pay account.
- Follow the steps to reset your password.