Amazon Pay Places FAQ
What is Amazon Pay Places, and how does it work?
Amazon Pay Places allows select Clover restaurants to accept takeout orders (“order-ahead”) from consumers via the Amazon App. For select merchants using the Clover Point of Sale, Amazon Pay Places helps customers order from a restaurant’s Clover menu, using Amazon-funded marketing (including a variety of social media, email, and in-app Amazon placements) to drive traffic to the Amazon Pay Places section of Amazon’s App. Amazon Pay Places introduces new customers to ordering online without any new hardware -- the restaurant uses the same point of sale and the customer just uses their Amazon app.
What is the customer experience?
- The customer sees your menu on their Amazon App and selects their items.
- Amazon confirms with you that the requested items are available. The confirmation is on your Clover POS; you don’t need any extra devices.
- Amazon Pay processes the customer’s payment for the order.
- As soon as the payment is processed, the order automatically prints out on your Clover printer.
- The customer arrives at your restaurant, and picks up the order.
What is your experience?
- You make the menu from your point of sale system available to Amazon, labeling the items that can be ordered ahead.
- Amazon uses its customer data to show your labeled menu items to the most relevant customers in your service area.
- You get orders from Amazon Pay Places through your current Clover system, so there is no need to purchase any special devices. When an order comes in, a message pops up for your confirmation. It’s as simple as that.
How much does it cost?
Amazon Pay Places charges you 10% of each order that’s processed through the Amazon App. This cost covers marketing and payment processing, including fraud protection. Amazon’s marketing may include a variety of paid social media, email, and in-app marketing.
How does Amazon know what items are on the order-ahead menu?
You tell us which items you want to put on the menu through a label in your Clover terminal. You can choose up to 10 items.
Why only 10 items?
We want to keep this simple for you and the customer. At a later date, we may modify this number.
I use internal names on my register. What if I don’t want the customer to see the internal names?
For all menu items that you want the customer to see for order-ahead, you update the Alt Description field in Clover to provide a customer-friendly name for the item. We’ll use only that name when we display the item to the customer.
How does Amazon get the menu prices?
We pull the prices directly from your register.
How do I know that an order has been placed?
We send an alert to your tablet that an order has come through, and provide all of the details you need. You then accept the order. As soon as you accept the order, we automatically print the order to your kitchen printer.
Can I cancel an order?
Yes. If you’re unable to place the order, you can decline it.
How do I sign up?
To participate in the program, your restaurant must be located in the Northeastern United States (NY, MA, CT, NJ, PA, DC, MD) or the Seattle area, and have certain functionality set up with Clover. To learn more and sign up, please contact PayPlaces@amazon.com.
What if my questions haven’t been answered?
Please contact us at PayPlaces@amazon.com.