Amazon Payments Privacy Notice
Last updated May 18, 2017
Amazon Payments knows that you care how information about you is used and shared, and we appreciate your trust that we will do so carefully and sensibly. This Notice describes the privacy practices of Amazon Payments Europe s.c.a., 5 Rue Plaetis - 2338 Luxemburg, (“Amazon Payments”) and applies to your use of our payment services, including Checkout by Amazon (“CBA”) and those that are hosted on or made available through our website at pay.amazon.com/uk (collectively, the "Services"). By signing in for the use of the Services you are accepting and consenting to this Privacy Notice and you agree that Amazon Payments may collect, process and use the personal data listed below for the mentioned purposes. This consent can be terminated at any time.
Controllers of Personal Information
Any personal information provided to or to be gathered by Amazon Payments is controlled primarily by Amazon Payments Europe s.c.a., (the “Data Controller”) and secondarily processed by Amazon EU SARL, Amazon Services Europe SARL and Amazon Media EU SARL, all three at 5, Rue Plaetis L-2338, Luxembourg.
EU-US Privacy Shield
Amazon.com, Inc. participates in the EU-US Privacy Shield framework. Click here to learn more.
The information we learn from you helps us provide, personalize, and continually improve the Services. We use the information to process payments, communicate with you about orders, products, services and promotional offers, update our records and maintain your accounts with us, display content and recommend merchandise and services that might be of interest to you. We also use this information to improve our Services, prevent, detect or report fraud or abuses of our Services and enable third parties to carry out technical, logistical or other functions on our behalf.
Here are the types of information we gather:
- Information You Give Us:We receive and store any information you enter while using the Services, or give us in any other way. Click here to see examples of what we collect. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to use the Services. We use the information that you provide for conducting the Services, opening your account at Amazon, processing your transactions, responding to your requests, and communicating with you.
- Automatic Information: We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. For example, like many websites, we use "cookies," and we obtain certain types of information when your Web browser accesses our Services. Click here to see examples of the information we receive. When you interact with a third-party site that uses one of our Services, such as “Checkout by Amazon”, our servers automatically record information that your browser sends. Click here to see examples of the information your browser may send.
- Email Communication with Users: to help us make e-mails more useful and interesting, we often receive a confirmation when you open e-mail from Amazon Payments if your computer supports such capabilities. We also compare our customer list to lists received from other companies in an effort to avoid sending unnecessary messages to our users. We communicate with users on a regular basis via e-mail to provide requested services. We also use your e-mail address to confirm your opening of an Amazon Payments Account, to send you notice of payments that you make or receive through our Services, to send information about important changes to our Services, and to send notices and other disclosures required by law. You agree to receive such communications electronically. We may send you promotional messages about new services, offers or opportunities that may interest you. If you do not want to receive marketing e-mail or other mail from us, please adjust your E-mail Preferences & Notifications under “Your Account” on Amazon.co.uk. However, we reserve the right to send you notices for customer service reasons, including notices about your account or transactions using our Services.
- Information from Other Sources: We might receive information about you from other sources and add it to our account information. Click here to see examples of the information we receive.
In addition to as explained above (see “Automatic Information”), cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your Web browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser so we can recognize you as an Amazon Payments user if you return to our website or to a third party website related to our Services using the same computer and browser.
If you do leave cookies turned on, be sure to sign off when you finish using a shared computer here for more information on how to sign off.
Information about our users is an important part of our business, and we are not in the business of selling it to others. Amazon Payments shares user information only as described below and with Amazon.com, Inc. and the subsidiaries which Amazon.com, Inc. controls and that are either subject to this Privacy Notice or follow practices at least as protective as those described in this Privacy Notice.
- Disclosure to Other Users: Depending on which payment service you use, you may need to disclose your e-mail address or mobile phone number (or alias) to other users so they can send payments to you. An alias can be used in lieu of a mobile phone number for our mobile payment service. When you send payments, your name, e-mail address, or mobile phone number (or alias) may be disclosed to the intended recipient. Once a transaction is complete, this information will be displayed in the transaction list of the user receiving payment. Mobile phone number and alias information are only disclosed as part of our mobile payments. Our "tag" feature also permits users of a mobile-initiated transaction to view a text reference associated with the transaction on our site.
- Purchases: We do not disclose your financial information (such as full credit card information) to any seller or other recipient of payments (the “Recipient”) you make without your prior consent. When you make a purchase by using our Services, we may make certain other personal information about you available to the Recipient required to complete the transaction (such as name, e-mail and shipping address and phone number), in the event of a dispute regarding the transaction, or as part of a fraud investigation.
- Third-party Service Providers: We employ financial institutions, other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf and transactions that you request or authorize. Examples include sending postal mail and e-mail, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, processing payment transactions, verifying identity, fraud screening and providing customer service. They have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes. Further, they must process the personal information in accordance with this Privacy Notice and as permitted by the applicable Data Protection legislation.
- Promotional Offers: Sometimes we send offers to selected groups of customers on behalf of other businesses. When we do this, we do not give that business your name and address. If you do not want to receive such offers, please adjust your customer communication preferences under “Your Account” on www.amazon.co.uk.
- Business Transfers: As we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy businesses, subsidiaries, or business units. In such transactions, user (or other customer) information generally is one of the transferred business assets but remains subject to the promises made in any pre-existing privacy notice (unless, of course, you consent otherwise). Also, in the event that Amazon Payments or substantially all of its assets are acquired, user information will of course be one of the transferred assets.
- Protection of Amazon Payments and Others: We disclose account and other personal information when we believe disclosure is appropriate or required to comply with the law; enforce or apply our User Agreement and other agreements we have with you; or protect the rights, property, or safety of our business, our users, or others. You agree to release us from our professional secrecy obligations and consent to Amazon Payments sharing and disclosing personal information as described above to any competent financial intelligence unit in charge of the fight against money laundering and terrorism financing, for the specific purposes described in this section. This also includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction as well as sharing information with our attorneys, auditors and other representatives. Obviously however, this does not include selling, renting, sharing, or otherwise disclosing personally identifiable information from users for commercial purposes in violation of the commitments set forth in this Privacy Notice.
- With Your Consent: Other than as set out above, you will receive notice when information about you might be disclosed to third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
Whenever we transfer personal information to countries outside of the European Economic Area in the course of sharing information as set out above, we will ensure that the information is transferred in accordance with this Privacy Notice and as permitted by the applicable laws on data protection.
- We work to protect the security of your information you provide to our web sites during transmission by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts information you input.
- We reveal only the last four digits of your credit card numbers when confirming an order. Of course, we transmit the entire credit card number to the appropriate credit card company during order processing.
- We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage and disclosure of personally identifiable customer information. Our security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we disclose personal information to you.
- It is important for you to take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your account and your password. You should keep confidential your password and any security questions. The security of your Amazon Payments Account relies on your protection of your password and security questions. DO NOT SHARE YOUR PASSWORD. If you do share your password with a third party for any reason, the third party may have access to your account and your personal information, and you may be responsible for actions taken using your password. If you believe someone else has obtained access to your password, please change it immediately by logging in to your account and changing your Profile settings, and also contact us right away.
Our website or third party websites related to our Services may display personalized third party advertising based on personal information about users. Click here for more information about the personal information that we gather. Although we do not provide any personal information to advertisers, advertisers (including ad-serving companies) may assume that users who interact with or click on a personalised advertisement meet the criteria used to display the personalised ad (for example, users in the UK who browsed for or bought classical music). If you do not want us to use personal information that we gather to personalize the third-party advertisements we display to you, please adjust your Advertising Preferences under Your Account.
Amazon Payments gives you access to a broad range of information about your account and your interactions with us for the limited purpose of viewing and, in certain cases, updating that information. Information about you may be accessed by logging into your Amazon Payments Account and viewing the "My Account" tab. Click here to see some examples, the list of which will change as our Services evolve.
- As detailed above, you can always choose not to provide information, even though it might be needed to use or take advantage of the Services.
- You can add or update certain information on pages such as those referenced in the "Which Information Can I Access?" section above. When you update information, we usually keep a copy of the previous version for our records.
- If you do not want to receive e-mail or other mail from us, please adjust your Customer Communication Preferences in “Your Account”. You may not opt-out of receiving customer service messages related to your account or transactions or other legal notices from us.
Our Services are not intended for use by children. Only persons 18 and older are permitted to establish accounts. If you are under 18, you may use our Services only with the involvement of a parent or guardian.
If you have any concern about privacy at Amazon Payments, please contact us with a thorough description, and we will try to resolve it.
Our business changes constantly, and our Privacy Notice will change also. We may e-mail with periodic reminders of our notices and conditions. You should check our site frequently to see recent changes. Unless stated otherwise, our current Privacy Notice applies to all information that we have about you and your account. We stand behind the promises we make, however, and will never materially change our policies and practices to make them less protective of user information collected in the past without the consent of affected users.
Related Practices and Information:
Information You Give Us
You provide most such information when you open an account, use the Services, or communicate with customer service. For example, to open an Amazon Payments Account, you must provide your name, address, and an e-mail address. To make certain payments through us, you must provide credit card or bank account information. We also may ask you to choose security questions to answer before we process transactions, issue you a new password or provide you with customer service. When you use our Services to send money to someone else or request money from someone else, we may ask you to provide information related to each transaction, including the amount of the transaction, the type of transaction (purchase of goods, purchase of services, or simple money transfer) and the e-mail address, alias or phone number of the third party. We also collect information that may be necessary for us to verify your identity and comply with anti-money laundering or similar law. Such information may include name, address, date of birth, passport and/or driver's license number. We may ask you to send us additional information (such as a credit card statement and/or a recent utility bill or other information linking you to an address in your account). We also may ask you to answer additional questions online to help verify your identity. We may also require additional information if you send or receive certain high-value transactions or high aggregate payment volumes through our Services.
Other examples of when you provide information include when you: place and order by using our Services, including on a third party’s website related to our services; provide information in “Your Account” (and you might have more than one if you have used more than one e-mail address when using our Services); communicate with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise; complete a questionnaire or a contest entry form; and employ other personal notification services such as Available to Order Notifications. As a result of those actions, you might supply us with such information as: your name; address and phone number; credit card information; people to whom purchases have been dispatched (including addresses and phone numbers); the personal description in your Your Profile; and financial information
We may sometimes offer optional questionnaires and surveys to our users to collect information for analytical purposes, such as demographic information. If we collect personally identifiable information from our users in these questionnaires and surveys, the users will be given notice of how the information will be used prior to their participation in the survey or questionnaire.
Information from Other Sources
Examples of information we receive from other sources include: account information, purchase or redemption information and page-view information from some third party websites with which we operate our Services or co-branded businesses or for which we provide technical, fulfillment, advertising or other service; search results and links, and credit history information from credit bureaus, which we use to help prevent and detect fraud and to offer certain credit or financial services. For example, in order to protect against potential fraud, we may verify with third party services the information you provide. During the verification process we receive personally identifiable information about you from such services. For example, if you register a credit card or debit card with us, we will check if the card is authorized and use your data in order to prevent fraud. In addition, we, at our sole discretion and subject to applicable law, reserve the right periodically to retrieve and review a credit report or other credit history information from credit bureaus for any account.
Information You Can Access
Examples of information you can access easily at pay.amazon.com/uk include up-to-date information regarding recent transactions; personally identifiable information (including name, e-mail, password, communications preferences); payment settings (including credit card information and bank account information); e-mail notification settings; and your Profile.